Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Book Review: A Perfect Book For Those Chilly Nights Ahead

It's hard to believe it's December already.  I think the extended fall lulled me into a feeling that it would last forever.  But, of course, it didn't, and a cold spell right before Thanksgiving ended all the garden work for the year.  Now it's on to the busy season--decorating, gift-shopping, and all the other activities that make the holidays an enjoyable, but hectic season.  Today is also the last meeting of the year of the Book Review Club, and I wanted to participate this month with a book I really, really enjoyed and think you will, too.  Because it's a busy time, I'll keep this review short.


Detective Constable Sadie Sparrow is on a forced holiday after some trouble handling a case of an abandoned child on her job at the Met.  Retreating to her grandfather's home in Cornwall, she can't let go of the case and continues to mull over what she might have missed.  One day, while on a run, she discovers an abandoned estate.  Sadie is intrigued by the beautiful but overgrown grounds of Loeanneth and becomes even more so when she discovers the reason it was abandoned.  Seventy years earlier, the young son of the Edevanes, the homeowners, disappeared without a clue.  Sadie is drawn to the story and begins investigating, hoping to find the answer to the cold case and provide closure to the remaining family members as well as restore her own self-confidence as an investigator.

Back in London, A.C. Edevane is at work on her latest mystery novel.  At 86, A.C., or Alice as she is known to family and friends, has had a successful career as a novelist and has a reputation for being independent and self-assured.  But she harbors a guilty secret, one that has bothered her for seventy years.

The first snow hit our area on Saturday, November 21.

 Like Morton's other novels, The Lake House jumps back and forth between the present and an earlier time period--in this case, the 1930's--when a young romantic Alice spends her days writing stories and secretly following a young gardener on whom she has a crush.  Loeanneth is an idyllic setting filled with the sights and sounds of a happy family, including the nature-loving father Alice adores, until the happiness is shattered by the loss of her baby brother.  In the present-day setting, Sadie and Alice's paths inevitably cross as Sadie digs deeper into the mystery.

Tiny crabapples make for a study in red and white.

The book jacket describes The Lake House as "multi-layered," and I can think of no better adjective to describe it.  Every character, it seems, has his or her own secret, including Sadie the detective.  Little by little, the secrets are revealed, but it isn't until the very end that all of them come together to provide a very satisfying conclusion.  While the reader begins to suspect what happened to the missing Edevane brother before that time, the whole mystery isn't resolved until the last few pages, including a surprising twist that I wasn't expecting.



Hydrangeas and coneflowers always look so much better with a dollop of snow.

Big thick flakes fell for a few hours, spotting the camera lens.

This is the fourth novel by Kate Morton that I've read, and I've never been disappointed--in fact, this one might be my new favorite.  After reading several crime/detective/spy novels before this, it was nice to read a good mystery without violence or evil villains, but with characters who believe in love, loyalty, and personal sacrifice.

The snow was gone in a few days, but it was magical while it lasted.

If you have a friend who enjoys mysteries, The Lake House would make an ideal Christmas gift.  Better yet, buy or check out a copy for yourself for those long winter nights ahead--you won't be disappointed!


Click icon for more
book review blogs
@Barrie Summy

As with all the books I review here, I received no compensation of any kind for writing this review and usually review only books I enjoy. I was lucky enough to be the first on the waiting list for The Lake House when a new copy arrived at my local library.

50 comments:

  1. I like the way you intertwined your review with your garden. I love snow pictures. The first snow is always the best snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Lisa, the first snow is always so pretty and exciting. By January 1, I'm not so entranced by snow:)

      Delete
  2. I have had this book in my hand more than once. Maybe now is the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to read Morton's books in long sections, Patti, not just a few chapters before bedtime. So after the holidays would be a great time to start this one.

      Delete
  3. I do love Kate Morton books and I liked the way you wove your garden pictures round the story!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy her books, too, Maggie. This one has so many interesting and likable characters. It's a good book for the winter ahead when we can't get outside much--or at least I know I can't!

      Delete
  4. Every time I go to the library, I almost pick a Kate Morton book, and then I walk out with something else instead. Sounds like I need to read one finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I didn't care for "The House at Riverton" as much as the others, but then that might be just me. Anyway, her books are just different enough from the mysteries that I usually read that I always look forward to them.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read a Kate Morton yet. So, I really appreciate this review...and the push. One of my sister's loves mysteries, and it is gift-giving time...:) Love your photos, esp the cranberries. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barrie, my book club read "The Forgotten Garden" a few years ago, which was the first Morton book I read. We all enjoyed it, which is saying something, because we usually don't all agree:)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenna! Wish I'd taken more, but my camera lens was getting wet from all the think snowdrops!

      Delete
  7. Oh, I've just started this one! I really love her books, and I'm glad to hear this turned out to be one of your favorites :-) I'm hoping to have more reading time during break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always looked forward to reading a good book over Christmas break when I was teaching, Cassi. It seemed like the rest of the semester I never had time--unless you count re-reading Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. every year:) I think you'll enjoy this one by Morton!

      Delete
  8. I've never read Kate Morton. Don't know why since mysteries are probably the genre I read most. Your review is intriguing and I'm putting her and this book on my TBR list.

    Love your snowy pictures. They make me chilly just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy, I've read a lot of your book reviews, and I think we enjoy many of the same books, so I do think you'll enjoy Morton's books! This first snow was pretty, but the real cold is yet to come:)

      Delete
  9. I haven't read Kate Morton, but this sounds like a wonderful book. Thanks for the review and the lovely pictures. The first snow is always so pretty, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've become a real fan of Morton's books; I think there is one earlier one I haven't read, so I need to check it out. I love the snow in November and December; by January, not so much:)

      Delete
  10. Oh I am so glad that you've not included any spoilers Rose as I'm about eighty pages in to this book! I've enjoyed all Kate Morton's previous novels and I'm sure that this will not be an exception. Interesting to see that the dust jacket is different to the one on this side of the pond. Beautiful snowy photos which would grace a dust jacket themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to include spoilers, Anna, but the truth is, I just didn't have time to write a thorough review this time, so I stuck to a general overview. Let me know what you think of it! I've heard before that the book jackets are different for UK and US versions; I wonder why?

      Delete
  11. I don't think I've read Kate Morton, so will keep an eye out for one of her books ...

    I love your snow photo's, there is always something special about snow at this time of year ... where I am we don't tend to get that much. Of course now I've said that we'll probably get snowed in !

    Happy December Wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, be careful what you wish for, Jan:) These early snows that don't cause driving problems are my favorite.

      Delete
  12. I don't usually read mysteries, but I know you're a connoisseur so if this is one of your favorites and it's set in Cornwall (the setting of my work-in-progress) I will download it for my flight to England for Christmas. Your snow photos are gorgeous! Oddly enough we haven't had more than a couple of flurries in Maine. It's been our warmest autumn ever and I'm not complaining (other than about global warming) but you're reminding me of how much I love fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Besides the story line and the characters, I really enjoyed the setting of this book, Sarah. I've always wanted to visit Cornwall; I think the PBS series "Doc Martin" is set there, too, and it looks so beautiful. I'm sure you'll have your share of snow before winter is over!

      Delete
  13. I love your reviews - and I love Kate Morton. I knew she had a new book out but hadn't managed to get a copy yet. Actually I haven't been blogging as much or reading as much as we moved into our 'new house' but I think I'm ready to get back in the saddle. I have my 8th blogging anniversary coming up and I am ready to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get all those boxes unpacked and have a chance to relax, Pat, you'll have to pick up a copy of this new book by Morton. Congratulations on your blogging anniversary!

      Delete
  14. Your photos are a winter fantasy land. Lovely. I enjoy mystery novels so I will look into the one you reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have a lot of snow, but it did look so pretty. The weather has been so warm this past week, though, it's hard to believe it's December! I've been reading more of John Sanford's books again, too; I know he's one of your favorites.

      Delete
  15. I love a good mystery, especially this time of year. Thanks for the review (and for the great, if chilly, photos)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mysteries are my favorite, Cloudbuster, so I'm always on the lookout for a new author I enjoy.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful photos - there's something about coneflowers with their little snow hats. Not familiar with this author, her book sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the reasons I leave the coneflowers up through the winter--I do love the way they look in the snow.

      Delete
  17. Chilly nights indeed! Like you I can't believe it is December as well. Where has the time gone? Love the pictures of the snow covered perennials. No snow here yet but it is mighty chilly. I hope you have a great Christmas in case I don't talk to you prior to then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went from a couple of cold nights to very warm temperatures this week--I think it might hit 60 today! I'm not complaining, though, because I'm sure we'll have our share of cold and snow before the winter is over. A Merry Christmas to you, too, Tina!

      Delete
  18. I think I've read this! If not, I will! I love your photos in the review. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to share the first snowfall photos, Jennifer, so the timing worked out with this review.

      Delete
  19. You really got the winter weather there and beautiful photos! I just mentioned to my husband today, "I wonder if winter will come this year." I do like those big flakes, they really make me think of Christmas. You did a nice review of the book too. Maybe a good career for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow only lasted a few days, Donna, and now we're having a week full of sunny, warm days. I'm ok with real winter holding off for awhile:)

      Delete
  20. I've listened to an audio recording of a book by this author (her first novel I think) and quite enjoyed it. This one sounds like it would be a great read too. I love when there is a twist you don't see coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't listen to audio books, but I bet Kate Morton reading one of her own novels would be so good. If you liked any of her previous books, you'll like this one!

      Delete
  21. I love a good gentle mystery with well drawn and fascinating characters. A new author for me to explore. And the winter garden pictures were wonderful.....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Gentle mystery" describes it well, Troutbirder. I read a lot of detective/spy/crime thrillers, but with all the awful stuff going on in the world right now, I prefer reading something more uplifting and filled with likable characters.

      Delete
  22. I love when the paths of different characters meet and everything comes together in the end of a book! There's nothing like a good book! Your pictures of snow are beautiful. We have yet to get any, which is a little surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad you reviewed this book Rose. I love Kate Morton's other books. They are haunting and beautiful. So is your winter garden with all the snow. There is nothing prettier than a snowy winter garden all hushed and still. Thank you for that too.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your snow photos - still mild here ( I'm not complaining!)
    Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just dropping in again to say Merry Christmas. All the best for the holidays and the new year to you and your family Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read that book a few years back. It is a good book. Your photos are wonderful. I hope your Christmas was a good one. Happy New Year, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just stopping by to say Happy New Year to you and your family.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. So enjoyed your reflective year and lovely images, Rose. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.